Sunday, April 6, 2014

Choose the Adventure

 

When people found out that I got into the University of Texas, they were ecstatic. Everyone told me how proud of me they were, how hard it was to get into UT and what an accomplishment that was. However, when they found out that I was actually considering going there, they thought I was crazy. Absolutely out of my mind. So many people told me I would never fit in there, that they couldn't picture me there and that it was totally the wrong college for me.

In all honestly, even I think this is all a little crazy. But God has an incredible way of taking even the craziest situations and turning them into the most beautiful stories.

Up until early March, I was totally set on Baylor. I knew whom my roommate would be, where I would be living, how all the finances would line up. I was set. I was absolutely positive that Baylor was where I was meant to be. I never thought I would get into UT, so I never really considered it as an option. And even I thought that UT was the wrong place for me, that there was no way in a million years I would ever go there.

But then I found out I actually got in. I screamed into the phone when my mom called me and told me, mainly because I knew how hard it was to get in and I was mind blown that they accepted me. As much as I loved Baylor and in that moment believed that was the place for me, God kept placing UT on my heart in the days that followed. The more I researched it, the more intrigued I became and felt a really weird stirring in my heart that I should keep pursuing this path and see where it lead.

One night I called my sweet friend Laurena and asked her about her experience at UT. She told me all of the amazing things God was doing in Austin and how she had grown so much in her walk with God there. The stories of her faith encouraged me so much and gave me a little more hope that I might be able to thrive there.

Out of all the experiences and stories she shared with me, one thing she said stuck with me the most. She told me to choose the adventure, because that was where I would grow the most in my faith and as a person. And in that moment I knew UT was the adventure.

If you know me, you know I'm not typically an adventurous person. I can be pretty shy and quiet at times. I'm a huge over-thinker and worrier. I love to plan things out and know every detail of the next step I'm going to take. So when God laid on my heart that this was the adventure on which He wanted to take me, I flipped out a little bit. But this past weekend when I finally went to see the campus and explore the city and meet other believers thriving there, I knew. I knew that Austin was the place to which God was calling me, and that I could trust Him in this adventure.

Throughout this whole decision making process, God has reshaped my definition of adventure. When we say yes to God, we say yes to a life full of grand adventures with Him. We say yes to living outside of out comfort zone and diving into the infinite depth of His presence. We say yes to trusting that He is our provider, our comforter and our steadfast foundation through every season. We say yes to being completely dependent on Him and leaving no room for fear in our hearts. We saying yes to enduring through this marvelously messy journey for the joy that is set before us. And we say yes to boldly walking with Him daily, even when we don't know what the next step will look like.

So I'm diving into His deep, living waters. I'm drinking in all of Him in each present moment, expectantly awaiting this new season of my life. And I'm saying yes to this crazy adventure He's placed on my heart. Will you say yes with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment